Tuesday, December 1, 2009

To believe ...?

Some days back one of my uncles came to visit us. Amidst mouthfuls of dosa, he was recounting how he had visited Tirupathi Balaji temple during Diwali. "It was so crowded but we could see the Lord for 40 whole seconds!" he said with a satisfied expression. "After that it was 'jerigundi' all over again. Sometimes you cannot even appreciate the whole form of Balaji in one visit but this time we were lucky," he said.

After listening to this, I went off into a private discussion in my own head. What is the difference between praying to Balaji at home and going to Tirupathi and praying to the same Lord amidst the jostling crowds? Why do people who are religious say that God is omnipresent, he knows all and sees all and still visit each and every temple in South India to prove they are more religious than anyone around them? If all Gods are one and He is omnipresent, should'nt praying at home be enough to get his favours?

I have been brought up by moderately religious parents. They told me God is great and its because of Him that we exist, etc, etc. We used to visit the temple in our neighbourhood on occasion and perform small pujas at home on all auspicious days. They never forced Him on me for which I am grateful to them. As I grew up, I did not feel the need to go and pray or meditate or visit the temple regularly (as most people do). Most of my friends used to prostrate in front of the Lord before exams; as though that one act could lead them to the top! Somehow, I have'nt felt the need to do that even.

Sometimes, when I feel depressed or lonely, those close to me always say that maybe praying to God or going to this or that temple could make me feel better. I should try and find comfort in the Lord's presence and so on and so forth. I wish that were true. Sometimes, I hope that maybe going to a temple would calm my anxieties but it has never helped. What some people call the power of belief or faith is an unknown entity to me. At times, I try and think why this has happened but I end up feeling lost.

When I look around at people who are fervently religious and chant shlokas for hours on a daily basis, I feel maybe I have lost out on something. But I have also noticed that some of these very same people do not follow what they preach. Just like an overweight person (like me!) would think eating an ice cream or a piece of cake is ok today if I definitely walk or exercise tomorrow, some so called believers commit all the sins that I could never even think of and then pray extra hard the next day. Does God forgive them then? Is it as easy as committing a sin and then asking for confession later as they do in the Christian faith? Does this mean that every religion gives us leeway to make mistakes?




8 comments:

  1. :-) of course every religion forgives u in their own manner
    Christians have their confession, Hindus have their Ganga snan, Muslims have their Rozaa and even Jews have their Lent...
    Faith is personal and should be that way..belief in god or his existence is again a choice...religion on the other hand is a way of life...
    Practice what suits u, and aim to be be happy. I don't personally think anything else matters. Others opinions on how should one conduct ones life or anything..

    ReplyDelete
  2. The questions that you have put forth are the very same which I too have.
    And I do agree with what Kau says.
    Dont know about others DCG, when I go to a temple I feel peace, mebbe its all in the mind, but I do get solace.
    There is no need to go to a temple/ church/mosque, what is really required is to be true to ourselves.
    There are some things which cannot be changed. Call it luck, fate, destiny whatever. Accepting that is difficult. for that v need strength, and to get that strength people like me pray. dont know if that gives me strength, but it keeps me on a positive note.
    (did my ramble make any sense?)
    Welcome back

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kau... my confusion is about whether there is a God above or not... not about which religion we should/ should not follow.

    Thanx Bhagyashree. Your ramble makes a lot of sense :) bcos most people who r close to me are like u. Unfortunately, I am not able to identify with them bcos going to a temple or praying does not give me the peace or the strength I need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking about God calm our bewildering minds. A thought provoking post indeed!
    I liked ur blog.
    Best wishes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well..That was a nice write.. You know,most people arond me pray and believe what they believe abt the so called 'god' for satisfaction and it works out for them as an inspiration to live or rather carry on things during the day,smoothly.
    We believe in some supernatural force that exists which is more powerful than any of the living form on earth and this force is what drives us ahead in life.. U call it force or some part of ur intellectual brain ormaybe just a coincidence that keeps happening in life. It all depends on what an individual perspects no matter hes a scientist or a philosoper or a layman who lives with some superstious beliefs.. at the end of the day the glass is either half empty or hal filled for everyone.
    And prayers.. They do work.. Its like telepathy between different souls at different places.. and thats what keeps us going.. enlightening us..

    Anyway,that was more than enough i guess. nice blog :) keep writing!

    ~TyRo~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can understand the post because I have gone through three phases in my five decades and more life -- following rituals without understanding them, a very long period of denial and refusal to follow the flock and then coming back to them because it afforded peace and answers to the questions in my head.

    I never forced my children into any kind of ritual since I myself never did them, but like me I have made them believe in God and have taught them to do it in whatever way that makes them feel good.

    My very religious and ritualistic father never once forced me change my belief in these things or made me do them. I never went to any temple till my late 40s when I discovered that I can find peace and solace in such places. But I only go to temples that are quiet and spiritual and not commercial. The reason why we go to them at all is because thousands of people come with faith and positive feelings and that rubs off on us too. It is a scientific fact that positive energy heals.

    ReplyDelete